EMU - Mineral fibres: crystal chemistry, chemical-physical properties, biological interaction and toxicity
The 2017 EMU (European Mineralogical Union) school will be held in Modena (Italy) in June 2017 with the title Mineral fibres: crystal chemistry, chemical-physical properties, biological interaction and toxicity.
The school will cover different multidisciplinary aspects related to the study of natural fibres and is thus aimed at students with a background in Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Material Science, Medicine, Physics who strive for working in the field of mineral fibre and asbestos and want to acquire both a strong background in this specific area of environmental protection and a multidisciplinary open vision of the asbestos related problems.
The following topics will be covered:
- Crystal structure and crystallography, occurrence of mineral fibres, and natural occurring asbestos.
- Experimental methods for the investigation of mineral fibres: optical microscopy, X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, vibrational spectroscopy, iron spectroscopy and synchrotron radiation based techniques.
- Surface and bio-chemical properties of mineral fibres.
- Illustration of asbestos related diseases and bio-chemical mechanism inducing toxicity effects in the human body.
- In vitro and in vivo tests to assess cyto/genotoxicity and carcinogenicity of mineral fibre.
- Dissolution and biodurability of mineral fibres.
- Epidemiological studies of asbestos related diseases.
- Genetic factors, mutations and toxicity of mineral fibres.
For further information visit: http://emu2017.unimore.it/
Event Date: 19th - 23rd June 2017